1 lb black beans, dry
7 C water
1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
11/2 C onion, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice)
6 C rice, cooked in unsalted water
1 jar (4 oz) sliced pimento, drained
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Pick through beans to remove bad ones. Soak beans overnight in
cold water. Drain and rinse.
2. In large soup pot or Dutch oven, stir together beans, water,
green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt.
Cover and boil for 1 hour.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered,
for 3–4 hours or until beans are very
tender. Stir occasionally, and add water
4. Remove and mash about a third of
beans. Return to pot. Stir and heat
5. When ready to serve, remove bay
leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon
6. Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced
pimento and lemon wedges.